Thursday, August 07, 2008

Downtown

After rain & tornado warnings yesterday, today turned out to be perfect. I am posting from Denver, where I am staying for a 2-day seminar on biodegradation.









After my flight arrived 11PM (4 hrs late) Wed. due to bad weather, I was delighted that Avis made a mistake and gave me this nice Chrysler Sebring, with removable roof & satellite radio! I thought I reserved a Hyundai Sonata.



Scenery




Corona St, typical Denver neighboorhood.







Photo is from under Colorado Bank building built 1915.



My morning drive from the Holiday Inn near Pecos Ave took me south on 25 towards downtown.


At lunch today, Tom, Rick, and I shared stories of nasty contamination and explosive waste and nerve-gas we've come across in our environmental careers. We sat under the green umbrellas, I forget the restaurant name but they specialize in seafood. (I went for the meatloaf special). The Denver baseball stadium is right down the street (not seen in photo).

The seminar is at Courtyard Marriott on the 16th St. Mall, in the heart of downtown Denver. The 16th St Mall and Lower Downtown (LoDo) is loaded with restaurant-cafe's, six Starbucks, and the Cheesecake Factory. The Courtyard entrance is there between Starbucks and Rialto Cafe.

16th st. is for buses only.


Due to bad weather, my flight was diverted for Colorado Springs. After 1.5 hrs refueling and waiting for the rain to pass, we finally made it to Denver. And the refueling had to wait because there was a chance of lightning, and fueling isn't allowed in that situation, due to explosion hazards.

Denver Art

After today's seminar, I walked around to find a couple art galleries, that I drove past this morning trying to find the Marriott. There was but one decent gallery still open at 6PM, Ernest Fuller's on 15th. And Ernest allowed me to take photos. The larger painting in photo below is titled "Heading South" and I thought it to be exceptional. It's 20 x 20 oil on canvas, by Texas artist Deborah Paris. It would look great in my parlor but unfortunately the price is $2300. The painting above is by the same artist and titled "November Twilight".


The gallery featured mainly art having to do with the Rocky Mountain or Plains, including Native American sculptures.

1 comment:

Angela & Guillaume said...

Have a safe trip home! xo

Mohawk Trail leaf peepage

  In this post there is much foliage to be seen between Greenfield and North Adams, in northwest Massachusetts. You'll see a series of p...