Saturday, December 05, 2009

Living room window casing

In this post I replace clamshell casing with 1x4 board. Casing is also referred to as trim or moulding.

Below is the original casing. I wanted to go with something wider, and a flat shape instead of the curved profile of the clamshell (in the inset below, you can see why it's called clamshell).

Also I replaced the 4-inch-deep sills with 8-inch. The 4-inch deep sills could not be used as a shelf. Deeper sills are more practical. The new casing/sills will be more rustic, folksy, practical.

Below, same situation with side window. Also I ordered grilles for the windows, which pop into factory-made holes in the frame and set right on the pane.

Below, new casing!



Below, close-up of 8-inch sill. If you buy an 8-inch board, the actual size is 7 1/4. The 8-inch is called "nominal" size. Actual size is narrower. Similar, the new casing is 4-inch nominal, actual width is 3 1/2 inch.


Below is that old wall shelf Steven and I made, I put up last night warms up the living room. I think it goes perfect.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andy,

Your windows look great. When do you find the time?

Love, The Aund

Mohawk Trail leaf peepage

  In this post there is much foliage to be seen between Greenfield and North Adams, in northwest Massachusetts. You'll see a series of p...