Sunday, March 22, 2020

Branch Cutting

"that happened to me after I used a gas weed-whacker!" said the hardware store cashier after I had trouble signing the electronic slip.  I had rented an extension-pole chain saw to cut some high branches. I cut many branches for a few hours and learned that wielding a 12-foot saw is a good way to make your forearms and upper arms pretty sore.  I told the hardware store cashier, that's why it took a few seconds longer to do my signature.

Turns out the cashier had a similar experience with a weed whacker.

Some branches of the honey locust (tree with the tire swing) were dangling and touching both the wood shed and the garage.  They were high up so I rented a chainsaw on a 12-ft extension pole ($75 from Gano's, Colchester) to cut what I could.  And I cut back some jungle-like overgrowth around the spruce trunks, and some other high branches in hopes of getting more sun to lilacs and blueberries.


The Norway spruces have a ton of deadwood toward the bottom. I didn't have time or muscle for all that jungle in the far left corner, but I can come back with a regular rented chain saw.

Standing in back of the truck, gets me a few feet higher.  I needed all the height I could get.



Out front, I cut back some of the beech or dogwood that was brushing against the hosue.


Below, is a view from early last fall. Too nice a view to put circles and arrows on.





Below, a picture from late February.  The Earth rotation allows a sunset view to the horizon for a few days.  You can see how a few branches are dangling close to the wood shed.



I took this at last light, probably last fall, enchanted by the sky colors.


No comments:

Mohawk Trail leaf peepage

  In this post there is much foliage to be seen between Greenfield and North Adams, in northwest Massachusetts. You'll see a series of p...