Friday, July 20, 2007

The Bay Area weather the last couple days has been cloudless and fog-free. And who would not take a day off to see Napa Valley and Golden Gate when there is no fog?? So I took off from work at noon for a little excursion....

On a recom-mendation from Dan’s friend who works at Merryvale Vineyard, I went to that very establishment and did some tasting in their fine cellar. Merryvale is in St. Helena, which has tons of wineries. It's about 1.5 hours from Oakland. The main road up the Napa valley (Rte 29) is just winery after winery!!! Dan’s friend had recommended a few besides Merryvale (Chateau Potelle and Duckhorn, to name a few) but alas I only had time for one winery. Dan is a guy from the Oakland office.

For the recommendation, I am grateful.

Somewhere between Napa and Sonoma

The Napa River and Sonoma rivers both empty into San Pablo Bay. I drove a loop north up the Napa valley, over vineyard-covered hills that divide the valleys, then down the Sonoma river. Then you come to San Rafael, a small city nestled in the hills north of San Francisco.

The Mission San Rafael Archangelo.

Jamba Juice, serving fresh fruit with blended with ice, with optional vitamins or energy supplements! Some with yogurt or sherbet.

Golden Gate, no less than fantastical.

Big ship off to China for another load of the best pet food ever?

At the Marin Headlands, you park literally at the edge of HUGE cliffs overlooking the bridge. You know the feeling when the car next to you backs up, it feels like you’re going forward? The story is, I had just pulled in to a stop log facing the cliff and the guy next to me started to back up. I FROZE and was all, how can I be going OVER the CLIFF!! After a very long second I figured it out. I did not need that worry because it is bad enough thinking that the Big One will hit San Francisco when I am stuck on the elevated freeway!!!



I drove inland into the Marin Headlands nature preserve and stumbled on something interesting. I never saw these buildings before today, but I had a dream about them a couple years ago. Same thing as with another stretch of road last year. I am beginning to think I lived in S.F. in a not so past life!! These buildings are in a remote part of the Marin Headlands preserve and probably an old institution or coast guard housing. Of all things, they are now an artists’ hostel! I took a look inside…. The resumes of the resident artists include art PHDs, and people who have exhibited around the world. I picked up grant application instructions anyway….

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm! Interesting that you dreamed about this place. And who knows, maybe you lived there in a past life. So many unknowns.

mom

Mohawk Trail leaf peepage

  In this post there is much foliage to be seen between Greenfield and North Adams, in northwest Massachusetts. You'll see a series of p...