Wednesday, July 18, 2007

now that you've spent time
writing your first thoughts

let's divide up into small groups
of around fifty million

- a Sacramento poet

This evening (Tuesday) I returned to the foggy Bay Area after finishing my business in Marysville. In Marysville I talked with Larry, yet another local grower, for about an hour about various worldly topics. Larry grows walnuts of the Ashley, Frankette, and Serv varieties. He gave me some history of Marysville: his ranch is on an Indian burial mound, the area was settled by Swedes, and Marysville is named after a Mary Murphy Covillaud of the ill fated Donner party, and his barn was pushed to its current location by the big flood of '97.

Larry was the first grower I met that mentioned the British Museum. One might ask how many California farmers visit the British Museum?? He and his wife spent two days at the museum. He said he felt a connection to his ancestry which I quite admired. I described to him the darkwood library in Trinity College in Dublin. I described my experience as an awesome connection in a cultural sense, just standing there knowing that Joyce and Yeats and other greats walked those halls!

I explaned my mediterranean ancestry and that I felt this part of California seems mediterranean partly because of the arid climate. However, I see no olive trees round here. Larry then pointed out that there ARE in fact local olive groves, to the north in Chico and in the hills to the east. I told him there might not be a great need for him to go to Greece because as mom and I discovered, so many ancient Greek artifacts were taken to the British Museum! Larry was all haha and went on to mention that olive growers and cheese makers are setting up shop in northern CA these days to complement the wine industry. Soon it was 3PM time for me to move on.

I am staying at the Berkeley Marina Doubletree thru Friday. All sorts of amenities and nice-looking restaurant right on the foggy Bay with a walkway along a marina.

Two academics are conversing here in the lounge and one of them wants to make a germanium nanoparticle. I don't think that is a small flower either!



-------->
La Bamba, in San PABLO just north of S.F. I went for the Guanaco Plate for $10.95. It is Salvadoran. It was a big plate with Tamal (cornmeal, green beans, and chicken served in parchment), pupusa (flatbread patty filled with chicken and cheese), fried plantain, and some sides.



<-------
W Gallery
, Sacramento. There is apparently a big art scene in Sacramento, and seems a notably sized poetry scene. From the local listings, there seems to be as much to do culturally, as Boston! (wish I could say the same about Hartford!)




Yoga studio midtown Sac.
Liking the backwards e

_______________________________________________

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tell me more about the "ill fated Donner family". Not sure I've heard of them.

Mom

Mohawk Trail leaf peepage

  In this post there is much foliage to be seen between Greenfield and North Adams, in northwest Massachusetts. You'll see a series of p...