Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Posted from Galway. From an internet creperie called Buon Appetito. How cool is that, except what makes sense about the name??? The feta & sundrieds crepe was ok but I'd go for the strawberries next time.

On my flight Mon/Tues I did not sleep. I discovered on this my second day here, that Ireland is even better when you sleep the night before :)


KILLARNEY RIDING STABLES

According to my horse-trekking guide Giselle, it is a university requirement in France, to work a year (any kind of job) in an English-speaking country, to help learn English. So Giselle is a French college student working abroad in Ireland this year. I chatted with her the most during the trek. The other guide was Finnish & the trekkers were an Irish guy, English woman, German girl (Maria) and American (me). I chatted some with Maria some, but major language barrier. Just the same, I got Maria in trouble because when she held my bag while I took a picture from my horse, I dropped my whip(not a mean whip, but a short flexible stick called a Crop in the States)............So Maria hopped down from her horse to get it from the ground for me. Right away then Giselle was all, no
no
NO you're not supposed to get off the horse! Ask for help next time! Safety rules, which she admitted she did not tell us. Sorries all around. Maria is from Germany and owns four horses including a Hannover Reiner, am I spelling that right?

************ We rode Irish Draft Horses which I noticed all over Ireland and mine was named Indiana. I explained to Giselle that I was taking riding lessons and she was all, are you up for cantering? Which I have never cantered. I was all, yeah, sure! Cantering is going pretty FAST. So a few times, she took me ahead of the group and we cantered, then galloped, which is scary-fast. It was a fairytale magical experience hard to describe, riding thru narrow trails in ancient woods then coming out to a field with a glimpse of a stone cathedral over the trees. There were mossy woods, cow fields, a castle across Lough Leane (Lough means lake. Pronounce it Luck in the south but might be said Loof in the North) & the highest mountains in Ireland surrounding. Supreme, the best 50 euro I ever spent.

Bunratty Castle was right on my way up to Galway. Apparently big on the tour-bus circuit if you check out the parking lot. In the four towers of the castle, narrow spiral stone staircases. With people going up & down the stairs, it's all about having to go back, up, or step aside when otherw are coming up & down. Good workout. It had an awesome medieval great-room: tapestries, carved wood thrones, 30 foot ceiling at least. The original McMansion.

********************* My b&b (Rockfield House) a farmhouse in Moycullen is cosy and the hostess (Kathleen) gave me tea & biscuit & somegood tourist info. I'll go on a short loop of Connemara that Kathleen recommended - from Moycullen, north to Oughterard & thru Connemara on Shanapheasteen Road & back round the coast to Galway - before heading to Longford (2 hr drive) and banjo. Say it SHANAFESHTHEEN. I caught up with my friend Karen (finally) & will be off to Ballymena on Sunday - Tues! She's been lecturing at a local college.

No pics again this post... it's not my camera - the internet cafe's haven't had the right socket for the picture cards.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds awesome so far. So great that you rode a horse, too!! Can't wait to hear more!

Love you bro.

Anonymous said...

Also, FYI, there's an article in this week's People magazine about your girl Lori McKenna! She's written songs for Faith Hill and is touring with them now. She made the big time!
Love
Ang

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having a great experience.

mom

Andy said...

yep hope ta ride more. horseys blow away the banjo so far this trip!!!

i love ya lori xoxo

Mohawk Trail leaf peepage

  In this post there is much foliage to be seen between Greenfield and North Adams, in northwest Massachusetts. You'll see a series of p...