Friday, September 14, 2007

Posted from Longford!

Connemara, from Shanapheasteen Road (say it shanafeshtheen)



looks very much like my Greece painting







Clonony castle, co. Offaly or Westmeath. One of tons of roadside castles.


























Me at Stables after horse trek




View of mountains from horse. Probably Carrantoohil Mtn. in the distance.











Peat harvesting by machinery to feed West Offaly Power Station which provides 4% of Ireland's electricity:

I've been much on the go, driving so many miles. I skipped the first banjo concert last nite & continued reading The Bogman by Walter Macken. It's about a guy that lets his gramps push him around and into an arranged marriage, which doesn't seem like it's going to work out!!! In Ireland, bog peat is dug up and used for fireplace fuel, and commercially to produce electricity like in my picture. This afternoon I went on a bog tour and learned how to dig bog pieces by hand like in Macken's book. How bout that, being able to experience the book you're reading about?

I am pretty sure my horse-trek guide's name was Giselle, so I'll change Wednesday's post. I hit a pub in Galway later Wed. nite where the game was on & Ireland lost to Czech Rep. and is no longer qualified for 2008 world cup. There was quite a bit of cussin' for a country full of cathedrals & convents!!! Thinking back I should've flirted with the barmaid more. It's not unheardof for bartenders to just up n come to America, I thought afterward what do the readers think?? Big match of Gaelic Football (same as soccer 'cept you can use your hands) this Sunday, Cork vs. Kerry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What, you crazy?? I've never heard of that! ;) You should've!!

Sounds like you're having an awesome time. MY bartender and I are going to Mom's tomorrow (finally) to pick up his suitcase.

Very cool about the bog tour.

Look forward to your next blog!

Love you bro.

Mohawk Trail leaf peepage

  In this post there is much foliage to be seen between Greenfield and North Adams, in northwest Massachusetts. You'll see a series of p...