Tuesday, September 11, 2007

KILLARNEY, Co. KERRY

I made it safely to Killarney (2 hr drive from Shannon Airport) on this day and checked out Ross Castle, Dunloe Gap, Killarney Center, and Ring of Kelly - a scenic coastal loop in County Kerry! There were large moundy hills and farms along the coast. The remoteness and desolation of the scenery was dramatic. And I am doing well on the wrong side of the road. However, the coastal roads are so narrow and windy, with rocks and plants straight up along the sides, that I managed to put a nice scrape along my poor Nissan Tino! Good thing I got the maximum optional insurance.

The locals have thick accents, so it's been hard getting information. My b&b hosts have been keeping to themselves, running the farm.

Nice flight and great beef with noodles on the plane (bland, in a perfect British way!) Killarney is touristy, not much cultural going on. Tomorrow I have a 2-hr horse ride (with a guide and other tourists), then a 3 or 4 hr drive up to Galway to sightsee. More of an arts scene in Galway. No photos this post because they don't have the right hookup for my camera, here at this cafe in downtown Killarney. Mild weather, probably in the 70s even now almost 9PM.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Blog. Good to read that you got there safely. Hope you get your camera working. Sounds like great weather. I looked at the weather for Longford and it showed rain. How far is that from where you are now? All sounds fun!

Mom

Mohawk Trail leaf peepage

  In this post there is much foliage to be seen between Greenfield and North Adams, in northwest Massachusetts. You'll see a series of p...